In light of it being the spiritual home of The Yacht Week, we wanted to share our 10 absolute fav things to see and do in the ever so beautiful Croatia. We're all about living the dream and we’re confident you’ll be ready to do just that after reading this. It's a pleasure.
Split: where it all begins
1. Split is for all the wanderlusters out there. It’s filled with vibrant stories and hidden pathways leading to open air squares of restaurants, cafes and fruits stalls. It’s also Croatia’s second largest city and home to the Game of Thrones’ city, Meereen. That being said, we know the perfect place for all you GOT fans to kickstart your week, it's none other than Klis Fortress.
Vis: the explorer’s island
2. Vis town is where the party's at, here we host the unforgettable tropical retro party at Fort George. We’re all about that healthy and balanced lifestyle, so for those of you ready to get that extra sweat in, we recommend a jog up to the Fort. First one to the top wins the best views!
3. Exercise? Oh, I thought you said extra fries! If you’re more into taking it easy, head over to the wine caves. Ever tasted a 17% alcohol wine? Maybe you have and you just don’t remember. Any excuse to do it again...
4. Looking for an alcove amidst paradise? Say no more. Stiniva bay offers some of the clearest waters on the island. And what’s more, you can access it both by boat or by renting those scooters everyone’s talking about. Mark a cross on your map for this one, it's definitely the place to go.
Komiza: everything small is cute–Fact
5. On the other side of Vis island is the small fishing village Komiza. Only opened to the public in 1994, this is THE place to wander the streets and snap the perfect Instagram pic. We all scream for ice cream is taken very literally here, you’ll find some delicious and well deserved cones of the good stuff dotted around the riva. I personally scream for Nutella meets cookie dough – But that’s just me.
photo: Victoria Törnegran
Hvar: where the magic happens
6. Queen B's once been spotted in the area, so when in Hvar, always fly high. And there’s no better way to do that than flyboarding. Never tried it? Well my friend, it’s only by trying that you succeed! I dare ya.
7. In Palmizana, Hvar is home to the the lush Laganini. Sit back, relax and enjoy the views from the comfy cabana pillows in the trees! People have said it’s the cure for everything and we think there’s a lot of truth in that. Tip: try the truffle pastas and an iced coffee for the ultimate revival.
8. Coffee first, adulting later. A little birdie once told us about this perfect spot for the perfect snap, located at the top of Adriana’s hotel. Since a coffee a day keeps the grumpy away, we highly recommend a stop there before hitting the road. Because spending the day on a floatie is just SO exhausting, I can’t even.
Starigrad: just keep floatin’
9. When life gives us watermelons, we make cocktails. OBVS. We don’t believe a tunnel raft is successful without a proper watermelon party and on the plus side it totally counts as one of your 5 a day. Here’s the perfect recipe:
- 1 watermelon, seeded and diced
- 4 ounces vodka
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- LOTS of ice cubes
- 4 lime slices (optional)
Place the watermelon, vodka, lime juice and sugar and mash it all up. Puree until smooth. Add the ice cubes and blend until the mixture resembles crushed pink ice. Garnish with lime slices and pour it up! Cheers, and always remember: you are one in a melon.
Back to Split, but no splitting up just yet
10. *sighs* The Yacht Week has come to an end (for now) and since big girls don’t cry, we’re always on the lookout for new escapades to extend the Croatian adventures and postpone those TYWW (The Yacht Week Withdrawals). So, we’ll let you in on one of our many secrets: rent a car and take the whole squad for a day to Krka Waterfalls for breathtaking views and a swim in the fresh pools.
A certain cat in a top hat once said “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened”.
photo: Kendall Paige Blakeman
That's it... 10 of the best to add to your bucket list! Rearing to go now, but haven't secured your spot yet? Join the party and come sail with us in Croatia.