We are looking for a passionate and dynamic Lead Developer with an enthusiasm for new technology who wants to work in a “startup” environment. You will be a mid to senior level full stack developer that has innovation and agility as part of their mindset. It would be an advantage if you were more leaning towards the backend albeit you are Full Stack. This is the perfect role for someone looking to take a step up in their career.
As an integral member of the development team, you will have an important role delivering the online sector including websites, booking processes, boat synchronisation, platforms for yachting agencies, administration panels and skipper management systems. You will work across the whole stack to deliver new features - from database design and implementing APIs to building react components.
To be an ideal fit for this role, you should be passionate about new technologies. A highly motivated hard worker; you are not scared to dedicate time when it comes to building great products. You have a swarm of new ideas. You like to set up and build new projects then drive them to exceptional delivery standards. You always take the initiative and you can cope with substantial pressure whilst keeping a clear mind. You know how to work alongside a team with exacting standards and tight deadlines.
You will help lead the tech team members to provide first-class support to the business as it implements its ambitious business development plans. This is the perfect role for someone looking to move into a management position leading and developing a team whilst still being a ‘hands-on’ developer.
- System architecture - Designing and implementing a plan to unify and future proof our various products across the web and mobile. This will affect booking processes, admin management and user experience amongst other aspects.
- Booking platforms - You’ll be responsible for improving and maintaining a high-quality booking process across multiple sites. This is key to our business, and we continually strive to make it as engaging and smooth a process as possible.
- Building new features - We’re always working to improve our sites and looking for new opportunities. As a lead developer, you will be expected to implement features from start to finish - this can commonly include collaborating with other teams, database design, building APIs, admin system alterations, react component and page creation and styling.
- Backend architecture - Having a flexible and enduring backend is crucial. You’ll be expected to maintain and improve our Symfony/MySQL systems whilst adhering to OOP principles and keeping a sensible data architecture.
- Component library - Keeping a consistent design is key. We do this by using a design system and custom component library (in storybook) and you’ll be expected to use and improve this library.
- Developing microsites and for marketing campaigns - Collaborating with internal teams to deliver high-quality landing pages and microsites with a wide global impact.
- Support in the Scrum and Sprint Methodology
Skills and background
- Experience with React.js or similar (Vue.js, Angular etc.)
- Experience with Symfony (or other PHP frameworks like Laravel)
- Experience with PHP7+
- Strong understanding of web fundamentals (semantic HTML, CSS/SASS, JSON and APIs)
- Experience in Linux server management
- Experience building well designed, scalable systems
- Good understanding of different software design patterns
- Good understanding of Systems Architecture and Infrastructure with some experience in proposing future upgrades and improvements.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Great communication skills, teamwork and appreciation for good coffee, music and fun times
- Next.js, Node, Express, Redux
- MySQL and Metabase for reporting
- Doctrine ORM
- WordPress (we use it as a headless CMS)
- Webpack, Yarn, Babel, ESlint or similar tools
- Storybook or other component libraries
- Understanding of UI/UX fundamentals
- Unix, vagrant and GCP
- Optimising for performance and SEO
- Experience with other e-commerce platforms or travel systems
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or similar (Maths, Physics, Engineering etc.)
- Experience in the travel, event or festival sector is preferable, with booking funnels that need constant evolution and innovation to stay best in class and handle high volume traffic.
- Experience with UX testing and implementation of improving user experiences. Working with a designer to find high-quality solutions to complex booking platform structures
- Good understanding of google analytics and other key social media metrics that inform the performance of websites and associated technology performance.
- Experience in mentoring junior devs on a day to day basics
- Support the senior leadership team and help execute on the direction of the business and stay in line with its vision. As lead developer you own the road map of tech development.
- Support the Digital Project Manager and Commercial and Tech Director in the development and implementation of new projects for our brands.
- Manage existing and new technology projects, ensuring all are successfully delivered within set timeframes.
- Lead and support the Tech team on a day to day basis ensuring that all services provided and received are performed to the agreed service levels, delivered accurately and on time, and follow the highest standards.
Remuneration and Perks
- Must be eligible to work in the UK and be based in London
- Salary £48-55k
- 23 days leave annually
- Time of your life at The Yacht Week and The Ski Week events
- Discounts for family and friends on Day 8 events
- Leadership and growth potential in a dynamic team
- Lots of autonomy and no red tape
- Creative brainstorm hours
- Pension matching scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Eligibility to participate in a private health scheme (BUPA).
- Get to do some crazy shit with the team through the year…
If you feel that this role is for you, please send your application including your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are accepted until the 5th of November.